Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Apple Orchard Harvest - My Vision


Here's an old-fashioned apple orchard harvest (Jonathan and Delicious) I photographed a few years ago around the end of September. You can see another cluster of bushel baskets in the distance. (Click on the image for a larger view.)

While through Payson, Utah a few years ago, we came across a small, family farm that raised apples (it's on the right side of the road, just before you drive up Payson Canyon). Ever since that first visit, we've tried to stop by around the last week of September.

Styling: As a former commercial photographer, I rarely photograph a shot just as I see, except when I'm doing editorial or environmental photography. My wife and I polished the top layer of apples (taking off the haze and dust) in the four or five closest baskets, in order to increase the color saturation; and I rearranged the position of the baskets slightly to make the shot more visually appealing.

A little styling BEFORE the shot will dramatically improve most photographs. I strongly believe in "fixing" problems before you start shooting, instead of trying to correct it later in Photoshop. The difference between a polished apple and an over-saturated apple in Photoshop is the difference between "appealing" and "garish".

You can also view my Flickr Photostream to see more of "My Vision."

No comments:

Post a Comment