Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Autumn Leaves on the Forest Floor


This close-up detail of maple leaves was taken several years ago, and was recently "resurrected" by scanning the original color transparency and converting it to digital. (Click on image for a larger view.)

The image was originally photographed on Fujichrome 50 with a Mamya RB67 (6cm x 7cm) camera. I had used a spray bottle and water to mist the grass and leaves to give the appearance of early morning dew.

A local printer had used this photo as a promotional poster to show off their new 5-color press; but until now, the image has just languished in my files. I think it's about time it start working for me, so I've sent it off to several of my stock photo agencies! Years ago this would have required the making of costly duplicate transparencies. Today, just a few mouse clicks and some uploading time are all that is required. The hardest part is the prep work: making good scans, cleaning and tweaking the image, and creating descriptive captions and keywords so that potential buyers can find the image through search engines. (Want to learn more about stock photography?)

The photo was taken in Millcreek Canyon, near Salt Lake City, Utah; and the leaves are Bigtooth Maple (Acer grandidentatum).

You can also view my Flickr Photostream to see more of "My Vision."

No comments:

Post a Comment